Saturday, July 12, 2008

I guess I'm old after all

Happy Birthday to me. Actually it was last month, but if you've known me for more than a year, you'll know that I celebrate for the whole month, and I got started a little late this year. So, until the 25th, it's my birthday month!! Now, I love me some birthdays...don't get me wrong. Cake, free dessert at restaurants, presents...not to mention, they are better than the alternative! But recently, I have been seeing signs of my age. Not grey hair. (Well, really, I wouldn't know. I don't know my true hair color anymore and my hairdresser loves me too much to tell me the truth.) Not wrinkles. GOD bless Mary Kay and good genes. Ok, so I have a few, but I like to call them laugh lines. No, I'm not seeing my age in all the ways you'd suspect. (Again, if you've known me for more than a week, you'd know that if I did see grey hair or wrinkles, I'd forget about them by the time I'd walked away from the mirror, if I even noticed them in the first place! I'm not known for my observational or memory skills!) You see, it's others who are burdening me with this "You're getting older" business. I remember the blow I felt 10 years ago with the commercial for "Classic Rock Hits of the 1980's" They were all my favorite bands on a 3 CD set for only $19.95. (I was crushed, but I would have bought it if I didn't still have all the old albums!) I remember that feeling like it was yesterday...see....I can remember!! Then we have " 80's Night" at church and my kids come out in these ridiculous clothes and ask if they look 80's enough. Now we have a radio station dedicated solely to those "Classic Hits of the 80's and 90's". I'm not complaining...I love it...I just don't know why they have to call them classic. Isn't classic old??? Well, I can deal with all that. But the other night I was watching TV, minding my own business, not bothering anyone, when this annoying voice came on (much louder than the show I had been watching) and told me that if I had been born between 1923 and 1968 that I could be eligible for affordable pre-paid funeral expenses. It was the only responsible thing to do for my family. COME ON!!! SERIOUSLY!! I AM NOT OLD ENOUGH TO PLAN MY FUNERAL YET!!! Besides, that's one job I don't have to do. Surely my kids can handle that. I know, I know, they can't even flush the toilet (of course, they don't really need to, because half the time they don't hit it!!) I am going into "middle age" kicking and screaming. Maybe that's why I still feel so young.

3 comments:

Eileen said...

Happy Birthday!

I was so proud, I had only had one gray hair up until about a week ago when my husband found 5 or 6. I was crushed. :-)

Jackie Sue said...

Sorry, I'm sooo much older than you that I have no sympathy for you...but, empathy...I have tons of that!!!

DAVID AND AMY VENN'S WEBSITE said...

Steph, Happy Birthday!!! I like the celebrating for an entire month thing.....Enjoy!! Leave it to the media to try and cash in on emotions. You are definitely too young to pre-plan a funeral!!!! 80's and especially 90's music is not old....is it? Have fun!!
Amy