Sunday, March 7, 2010
Is this what it's like?
Is this what it's like to be my FATHER? When you want to help me stay in the lines, but I just want to do it my way, and I end up with a mess? When YOU try to teach me something new, but I think it's too hard and I throw a fit or won't even try? When YOU want to show me that you love me, but I won't be still enough to receive it? When YOU prepare a feast for me, but I just want the peanut butter sandwich...again?
Do YOU ever get tired of showing me the same things over and over again, and I seem to learn so slowly? Do YOU get tired of chasing after me when I've pulled my hand free of yours again? When YOU ask me to look at YOU, and I turn my head in YOUR direction, but my eyes aren't focused on YOU, are YOU frustrated?
Do YOU ever cry over me? If someone notices that I'm different, and they are hurtful to me, does it hurt YOU too? Does it make YOU angry? Do YOU feel sad when I do things that hurt myself over and over again?
Is this how it feels when YOUR children fight? When you want to gather us all together for a good time, but we all insist on our own way and it all falls apart? Do YOU get tired of waiting for me to come home? Of reminding me what I'm supposed to be doing? Do YOU get frustrated when I waste my time and energy on things that don't matter? When I won't listen to wisdom? When I won't wait on YOU? When I think I know what's best for my own life, but come crying to YOU to fix it when it goes wrong?
Is this what it's like?
And is this what it's like to be my FATHER, when I follow YOU around the house and try to do what YOU do, even though I don't do it just right? When I only want my juice in a coffee cup, because that's what YOU drink from? When I come in from a long day and actually sit down and WANT to talk to YOU? Do YOU brag about me when I learn a new song on the guitar? Or keep practicing on the drums til I finally get it? Are YOU overjoyed when YOU see me teaching my brother how to play? When I play tea party with my little sister, even though YOU know I'd rather be doing something else? When YOU see me trying to do the right thing, even though it's not what I want to do, and even if I fail, are YOU still proud of me?
Is this what it's like?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment