Friday, February 22, 2008
"She speak Chinese!!"
OK, funny story about our CNY celebration. We gussied up in our silks and headed out to the local Chinese Buffet. Of course, by the time we got there, the boys decided they didn't want to bring that much attention to themselves, so they shed their silk shirts and left me and AnnaLyn the only ones dressed for the occasion. We couldn't shed ours...well, we could have, but that restaurant is across town! haha. I digress. We arrived at the buffet and had a seat. Our waitress spoke pretty clear "chinglish" as the chinese people call it. She asked if we knew it was Chinese New Year. "Yes, that's why we're dressed up....well, some of us." She went on to tell us it is the year of the rat, and some other thing I didn't quite get. She looked confused as to how we knew all about CNY, but she was nice. Then she zoned in on AnnaLyn. "She so cute, how old?" "She just turned 2" She tried to talk to AnnaLyn, but AnnaLyn would have none of it. She looked the other way, looked at the lights..anything not to look at the waitress.
The waitress then proceeded to try to turn AnnaLyn's head around to get her to answer her. I jumped in, "She doesn't talk yet"
"Oh, how old?" "2" "and she not talk yet?" At this point, and I don't know why, I always feel compelled to explain why my babygirl doesn't talk. "Well, we just brought her home from a Chinese orphanage, and...." "WHAT?? SHE CHINESE???"....."Well, um, yes, she is. Anyway, she doesn't talk yet." "Oh, I bet she speak chinese" "No, she doesn't speak chinese or english, she babbles though." "She cute" Thank you. May I have a coke please? She brings back our drinks in a few minutes and AnnaLyn has loosened up a little. She now is babbeling her classic "Babababa" To our waitress' great delight apparently, because she immediately jumped up and said loudly, "Baba, dat mean fadah (father)...SHE SPEAK CHINESE!"... "Yes, baba means father, but I don't think that's what she's saying. That's just one of her sounds." I don't think she was convinced. Later, she came back to the table and got down in AnnaLyn's face once again and said "You so cute" To which AnnaLyn replied, "sheshesheshe" (another one of her sounds) "SHIE SHIE, dat mean tank you, SHE DO SPEAK CHINESE!!" I gave up. Yes, I guess she does. And all this time I thought she was just babbling. Silly me.........Oh, and for the record, the boys had shirts on under their silk shirts, so they were still dressed. We live in the south, so I feel I need to clarify that. hahaha
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
You silly momma...she do speak Chinese!!! :) Cute story...as always ya'll have the most adventures of anybody. Tell the guys thanks for wearing shirts to dinner. You know that "no shoes, no shirts, no service" that is for us southerners :)
the above always makes me think that someone said something and then thought it through and changed their mind...well, the truth is, I double posted my comment by accident, so I deleted the second comment only to then feel the need to explain myself on this comment. There!
Post a Comment