Saturday, March 7, 2009
MRI abnormal
OK, take a deep breath. Another piece of the puzzle has been presented. (and unless you work in the medical profession, it won't make a bit of sense to you, but hang in there) AnnaLyn's MRI came back showing "slight volume loss in white matter of the lateral ventricles". Her pediatrician said it likely resulted from some event in utero, it doesn't appear to be progressive, and it does put her at a higher risk for developmental delay and seizures. However, when I asked about whether they had compared it to her normal MRI in August of 2007, he didn't know. (He wasn't the ordering physician for that one and didn't have the records) He thought that was suspicious and referred us to a pediatric neurologist, whom we will see in early April. Of course, in the mean time, can I just sit around and not google the results of this MRI? Hello, I'm Stephanie Morgan. Patience is not my Spiritual gift! Sooooo, when I googled these results, all the articles refer to "periventricular leukomalacia". (I think they should put that in a spelling bee somewhere!) To cut to the chase, it usually occurs in premies (we have no way of knowing) or in babies whose mother was drug addicted. (???? But I think she had to be on something to give up this precious angel) 60-100% of the children affected "develop" CP (I think she would have already shown some signs of that by now, so I'm not really concerned about that) and 47% develop epilepsy. Hmmmmm. The hallmarks of this condition are; developmental delay, seizures, vision defecits (including strabismus which she is having surgery for on April 3) apnea, respiratory distress syndrome with resulting pneumonia and something else I can't remember, I guess because it didn't apply. Makes you think doesn't it. It has also been linked to autism and MS. We are choosing to focus on all the fabulous progress she has made and is still making, so I have actually stopped looking up stuff on Google now. I have crammed all the information in my little head that will fit anyway. I may experience some volume loss of my own! Well, some say I already have. hahaha. It's my kids fault. I was a reasonably intellegent woman before they came along. It's amazing I can still string words together at this point! So, until April......
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Wow Stephanie....that's a lot to absorb! I think I'd stop Googling too. We'll keep AnaLyn (and you) in our prayers and pray that the April appointment goes well. Take care & God bless!
P.S. I love your sense of humor! I look forward to reading your blog....can you blog more please??
Hugs,
Dorothy
Stephanie, I will definitely keep Annalyn in my prayers!!! Emily Grace had her strabismus surgery on March 11th. I will glad to share with you our experience if you would like to know what to expect. We are still waiting to see if this surgery was a success!! As I am sure that you know, it takes about two weeks to see if it worked since the procedure isn't an exact science. We wish you all well!! I agree with Dorothy, your blogs are well written with humor and I would love to read more of them :o)
Steph, I have a new cell phone now so I can call you with "what to expect" from the srabismus surgery. I will tell you like it really is...it isn't bad, though so don't worry. I don't have your phone number though. Send it to me in a email: Amy.Venn@cobbk12.org
Take care!!! I am still lifting AnnaLynne up in prayer!!!
Hugs to you,
Amy
Post a Comment