Thursday, May 17, 2007

Can you hear me now?

Well,I hope everyone had a happy Mother's Day. It was a special one around here. (Of course, they all are) The weather was perfect and we headed to GrandMary's for a cookout. The guys all pampered us. It was great. Here's a little news, with a funny story to boot. I don't know if I posted from China that we don't think AnnaLyn could hear from her right ear. Well, once we got home, we noticed that she doesn't always look at us when we talk to her, especially if we are behind her. The other morning she and I were in the kitchen eating breakfast and the dog barked suddenly. It scared me to death, but AnnaLyn never blinked. I told Chris about it later and we performed some "redneck hearing tests". With her back turned, we slammed the trashcan lid, clapped loudly right behind her head, yelled loudly, dropped things and made all kinds of other racket over the course of half an hour or so. She never responded to anything at all. After our redneck hearing test was complete and we had diagnosed our little girl with profound deafness, Chris made a funny out of a scary situation. He said, "You know Steph, we are going to take her to the doctor on Wednesday and he's going to examine her and say, 'Well, it looks like she could hear fine until a few days ago...Has she been exposed to a lot of loud noises in the last day or two?'" hahaha Leave it to me to make my kiddo go deaf by screaming in her ear. Soooooo...we took her for hear hearing screening and to my great surprise, she has perfect hearing in both ears. Now, that sounds good, and I'm very glad that she can hear, but it still leaves the little problem of her not responding to loud noises. Working with special needs kiddos, I know just enough about different diagnoses to scare myself to death, but not enough to be really knowlegeable about any of them. I do know that not responding to voices and loud noises could be a sign of an auditory processing disorder, or autism. Sooooo, while every other mom would be very pleased that their child can hear, I was thinking, oh no. So, I visited my pediatrician, who was wonderful and let me walk in for a conference unannounced. He suggested getting a little more aggressive with her therapies and referred her to Vanderbilt for further testing and evaluation. At this point, I really hope that I'm making a great big deal out of nothing, but it never hurts to cover all the bases, right? So again, I solicit your prayers for our baby girl. I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

Jackie Sue said...

Hey you! I will be praying for you all. Maybe we will chat tonight? If not, I will give you a call. love you